Alexandra Vittes, M.S.W., RSW
I am a Registered Social Worker with the BC College of Social Workers. As an associate in Tara Chotem’s practice, I provide counselling and psychotherapy to adults and older adolescents.
I enjoy helping people with a broad range of concerns including:
and have a particular interest in working with clients dealing with the often overwhelming stresses of starting a new family.
- grief and loss
- relationship difficulties
- Masters in Social Work (MSW), University of Southern California, 2003
- Masters of Arts in English (MA), University of Southern California, 2001
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) in English and Comparative Literature, Occidental College, 1998
I was trained in both Los Angeles and Vancouver and have worked in a variety of settings with diverse populations.
In California, I was trained in providing both short-term and long-term therapy at:
I gained experience working with inter-generational trauma and abuse, relationship violence, and
cross-cultural challenges. During this period, I also co-facilitated a cognitive behavioural therapy group for gay men struggling with anxiety and depression.
- Seven Generations Child and Family Counseling Services
- Department of Psychiatry, Kaiser Permanente’s Los Angeles Medical Center
In Canada, I completed a comprehensive postgraduate clinical internship at:
I worked with teens and adults dealing with anxiety, depression, grief, loss, trauma and abuse. In addition, I
co-facilitated a group for parents and partners of those affected by eating disorders.
I employ a variety of approaches, but work primarily from a Relational Psychodynamic perspective. One of the distinguishing characteristics of this method is the way in which it uses the relationship between therapist and client as an opportunity for healing and growth.
In a secure and trusting therapeutic relationship, you can:
- gain an understanding of the past
- learn to accept yourself in the present
- find new ways of relating to others
- move forward in your life
Please feel free to call or email me if you have any questions or would like to set up an appointment.
Telephone: 604-926-7411, ext. 1.